Enrolment with the Commissioner for Voluntary Organisations
As per the Voluntary Organisations Act (Cap 492 of the Laws of Malta) and Subsidiary Legislation (492.01 of the Laws of Malta), the commissioner requires the following set of documents authenticated in blue ink as indicated here under:
1. Declaration of no annual accounts and no annual returns. The declaration should be on a letterhead and signed in blue ink by the treasurer and another member. Click here to view the sample declaration.
2. Statute / Deed: In case of Foundations or Trusts a softcopy of the original notorially authenticated deed and any amendments made to this deed are required.
If the organisation has a different legal structure other than a Foundation or Trust, a soft copy of the original statue of the organisation and any amendments made to this statute are required. The statute has to be the one which is currently in force and is to be authenticated by at least two administrators.
If the statute states that it must be authenticated by a public notary, the copy authenticated by the public notary with any amendments is to be attached.
3. Certified resolution of the administrators to enrol the organisation with the Commissioner for Voluntary Organisations and to hold office after enrolment. This must be signed in blue ink by all administrators. If the administrators does not reside locally, the voluntary organisation must have a local representative. In such case, the signature of the Local Representative in blue ink is required.
4. Letter of appointment of the representative resident in Malta (local representative) is required in case the voluntary organisation has a representative resident in Malta (local representative). The letter should be signed in blue ink by the representative resident in Malta (local representative) and the committee members.
5. In case the voluntary organisation has a commercial outlet, any of the following documents are required;
• A signed statement in blue ink stating that the commercial outlet is used solely by its members; OR
• The latest contract for the leasing of the commercial outlet if it is open to the general public; OR
• Document showing that the organisation has established a legal entity to run the outlet.
6. The following documents of administrator/s not residing in Malta are required (In case the administrator/s of the voluntary organisation is/are living abroad
*a. Copy of the identity card (in case of an EU member state); OR
*b. Copy of the passport in case of any country including also EU member states); OR
c. Apostille Certificate
* Copies of identity cards and passport must be authenticated by lawyers practicing in Malta. Documents have to be attached separately.
7. In case the organisation has been existing for more than one year, the commissioner requires:
a. Last year’s annual administrative report of the organisation. It must be signed in blue ink by a minimum one administrator.
b. Last financial year’s annual accounts of the organisation prior to enrolment. They must be signed in blue ink by a minimum two administrators.